From Chiapas, Mexico this new crop introduces sweet floral, citric, and honey notes on the nose. On the break, chocolate tones are added. In the cup, we have attributes of honey, caramel along with a mild malic (apple) flavor and acidity. A very balanced and sweet cup.
Unión Majomut is a cooperative comprised of 1,700 producers in 29 communities located in the highlands of Chiapas, Mexico. The co-op was
founded in 1983 with the goal of improving the lives of coffee producers in these communities. In 1992, Unión Majomut became certified by
Fairtrade Labeling Organizations International (FLO).
With the Fair Trade price, Unión Majomut has been able to invest in several social and productive programs, including:
- Twenty-eight women’s groups promoting organic coffee production, chicken farming, food safety, and healthcare
- An education program that addresses issues of small-scale coffee production
- A small-scale coffee roasting and milling business that sells ground coffee to the local market
- A micro-credit program for co-op members
- A technical assistance team of agronomists, agricultural technicians, accountants, anthropologists, and computer specialists
“Fair Trade creates a relationship between a consumer who receives a product of excellent quality and a producer who gets a fair price for it. In addition to quality we have something other sellers cannot offer to the consumer — the chance to help communities develop by supporting farmer-owned organizations and care for the environment through the purchase of organic coffee,” said Victor Perezgróvas, Unión Majomut Export Manager